Sunday, September 15, 2013

Meet Some of the Newest Additions to the Chamblee Family

Liya Mammo and Solina Jean-Louis caught up with Chamblee's newest staff members to get to know them better. Below is some of what they had to share about themselves. 

If you want to learn more about these individuals, be sure to read the September issue of the paper, where you will find out the answers to the following questions: 
1.      What is your fondest memory from high school?
2.      If you could go anywhere right now, where would you go and why?
3.      If you could meet anyone, dead or alive, who would it be and why?
4.      What’s the most adventurous thing you’ve ever done?
5.      When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
6.      Name a book, song, or movie title that best describes you.

by Liya Mammo and Solina Jean-Louis

Mary Kelly
 Where did you grow up? 
·         I grew up in northern West Virginia.
Where did you go to college? 
·         I went to undergraduate school at Allegheny College and graduate school at the University of Iowa. I got my undergrad in English and my masters in American Studies.
Why did you choose to become a teacher? 
·       I really like that when you get to teach special education, every student has his or her own learning style. It’s like a big puzzle that you get to figure out. I like that I get to teach kids how to read and do math, even if it’s never made sense to them in a different setting.
What are your hobbies? 
·         I like to sew, cook, and bake. I’m known for my pies, and I bake bread almost every week.
What are you looking forward to most about this year? 
·         I’m looking forward to working with the students on my case load. They’re exceptional, so I really look forward to getting to spend so much time with such cool students.
Are you married/have kids, etc?
·         I’ve been married for almost two years, but I don’t have any kids yet.
What advice would you give your former high school self? 
·         If what you’re doing is hard, then almost always you’re doing the right thing. If what you’re doing is too easy, then it is not the right thing.
  
Shaheen Begum
Where did you grow up? 
·         I grew up in Hyderabad, which is in the southern central part of India.
Where did you go to college? 
·         A college in India. I moved to the U.S. in 2005.
Why did you choose to become a teacher? 
·         My parents were educationists. I believe it was always in my blood, and in India, people always put stress on STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics).
What are your hobbies? 
·         I love to cook and try out different cuisines. I also love to travel; I’ve been to different parts of India, Saudi Arabia, and various states across the U.S.
What are you looking forward to most about this year? 
·         I’ve always believed in making differences in the lives of my students to get them motivated to improve their overall development and life skills. My goal has always been to help my students reach their goals.
Are you married/have kids, etc?
·         I am happily married to a wonderful husband of 14 years, and I have two boys. My older one is 13 and my younger is 9.
What advice would you give your former high school self? 
·         I would suggest to follow your dreams and to do the right thing at the right time. If you do the right thing at the right time, you will be able to attain your goals.

Check out the "Features" tab above to see more responses!!

No comments:

Post a Comment